After a good day of riding and another night at the same
stopping place it was time to carry on. My aim for the night was Cologne - it
would be my last big stop before the (still unbooked) ferry.
The drive was slow going, roadworks, traffic and the tricky
part of not having enough power to overtake lorries on the dual carriageway
motorways when you’ve got cars screaming past at 90mph, so I just plodded
along. I stopped for a shower and a lunch break at a services, bit the bullet
and booked a ferry home, and put in a drop of extortionately priced fuel as I hadn’t
seen anywhere to top up at before I’d got onto the motorway, and eventually
made it to the outskirts of Cologne.
Cologne has an Umwelt zone, a low emission dirty diesels
unwelcome zone. An exception is made if you go straight to the Wohnmobilplatz
(campervan park up) via a specific route and straight out again. I’m not sure
how they police the zone but I had exact instructions of which route was
allowed and I would be following it. I came to the motorway exit I needed –
closed. I went past it and looked to see whether it was open in the other
direction – also closed. After 5hrs of driving this isn’t what I particularly
needed. I took the next junction and pulled in as soon as I could, it happened
to be a Lidl car park so I went and got some food before deciding what to do. I’ve
learnt a lot about calculated risks this year and I decided I’d just follow the
route the satnav wanted to take me on and hope I didn’t get caught. Anyway, I think
it was a justified reason to be deviating from the route (clearly my German
language skills meant I'd be able explain this if needed)
With some slightly hairy driving through Cologne I made it
to the Wohnmobilplaz. Even if you have a green light pedestrians have right of
way, as do bikes and so do trams. Add in driving on the right, unfamiliar
junctions and trying to look out for turnings when it’s starting to get dark, I
find driving in cities here takes a huge amount of concentration.
I’d arrived later than planned and it didn’t wholly surprise
me to find the wohnmobilplaz was full. The book said it had 60 places and it was the only one in the city. On a Saturday night with the campervan obsessed Germans that's probably not enough space. There was a car park by the entrance to
it which had a no campervans sign, but there were a couple of vans parked up
there. I took another calculated risk and decided I’d spend the night in the
car park. A few more vans arrived to find the same problem as me and also
parked up, with safety in numbers I stealth cooked my dinner and went to bed.
I woke up to noise outside, I looked at my clock – 0453. Are
these people heading home or heading into the city at this time of night? Then I
could hear an engine running behind my van, I could see flashing lights so I got
up and looked out the window. There was a police van and two police cars! A bit
extreme just for people who have overflowed from the wohnmobilplatz I thought. Then
I looked out the other window, 3 fire engines. Phew, probably not campervan
related then. After a while, not before my bike rack had been walked into a
couple of times which always makes me jump a mile, they packed up and left and
I went back to sleep, glad of the extra hour in bed.
Things like this would have used to have bothered me but I’ve
realised it’s just part of the adventure and find it annoying rather than
anything to get too worried about. Having a day of wandering and riding round
Cologne was worth it, so much so that me and Bertha are flouting the rules
again tonight and staying put, hoping for no more dramas.
No comments:
Post a Comment