Well I've done it, cycled the length of the Hebridean Way. I've done it the easy way by not carrying any kit, but it does mean I've covered 365 miles to cover the 130 Way and been up and down most hills from both directions.
The final 16 miles today (a 33 mile round trip) were the hardest I think I've ever ridden. Not because of the hills but because of the weather. Today looked to be the best day of my remaining time wind wise so it was now or never and never wasn't really an option, so after a late breakfast listening to the hail, I wrapped up for winter and set off.
The first few miles were windy but ok, gentle hills so nothing to worry about. After 6 miles I considered turning back, a diagonal wind was making it hard to stay upright and pushing me across the road. As there was no traffic, and with now or never in my mind, I carried on. At 7 miles I was still seriously questioning whether to carry on. At 8 miles, the snow started. Driving snow and the wind on open, exposed, desolate moorland. 8.72 miles, I got caught in temporary traffic lights for what seemed like forever. I was cold, wet and, it's a strong word considering I was outdoors and on my bike, but I was bordering on feeling miserable. The snow stopped and after 12 miles I reached a little museum which said it had toilets and a cafe. I went in and chose what I'd have from the menu on my way back and dragged myself back out. It was a little less exposed and a bit more of a straight headwind apart from the last mile or so and I eventually made it to the lighthouse. A quick photo of my bike, demolished the piece of quiche I'd packed in my pocket and a tailwind back to the cafe for a late lunch and then onto my van.
All of the islands have been completely different and apart from today I've enjoyed all of it. When I saw the Hebridean Way existed I thought it would be good to do some bits of it on my trip, but it's turned out that the past 3 weeks of my trip have revolved around covering every mile of the route, picking the least windy days for riding and filling the other days with walking and exploring.
National Cycle Route 780 - complete!
A few pics from my rides:
Quiche? How posh are you? 😜
ReplyDeleteI was given it by a shop as it was out of date, does that make it less posh?
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the completition of the Hebredian Way, sounds like a tough last day (yet all your pics look blue sky and beautiful!), whats next on your adventure?!
ReplyDeleteCharles
Thank you! The weather changes so quickly, but Im also less inclined to take my gloves off in the snow! The next month is a mixture of walking and a bit of cycling in the North West and North, before the big ride...
ReplyDeleteThank you! The weather changes so quickly, but Im also less inclined to take my gloves off in the snow! The next month is a mixture of walking and a bit of cycling in the North West and North, before the big ride...
ReplyDelete